Tuesday, December 30, 2014

{Book talk #4} Would you rather...

Hallo meine Lieben,

hope you are all doing great and had wonderful holidays and a good time, no matter what you celebrated or not celebrated. I found these bookish questions over on Bookshelf Reflections and thought it would be fun to answer them as well. You will read some more meaningful posts in 2015 I guess. 





Rather read only a series or stand-alone books?

Phew. That is a tough one to start with! I guess I have to go with the series because I just love my detectives from all the crime novels so much that  I would not want to spend my literary life without them. To name a few: Inspector Van Veeteren, Inspector Barbarotti, Inspector Wallander, Carl Mørck and Assad, Detective Erlendur, Dora Gudmundsdottir, Inspector Winter, Inspector Huss....so yeah, definitely series. 

Rather read a book whose main character is male or female?

I really don't care. I guess most of the characters I mentioned above are male but I guess that's because the majority of inspectors in crime novels are male. It does not have anything to do with my preference. The character has to be well written and interesting. The rest does not matter to me. 

Rather only shop at Barnes and Noble (or other bookstore) or Amazon?

Bookstores. Real ones. One of my fave things to do is to spend an afternoon in the bookstore reading the blurb of every single book they sell.  Of course I look online for books as well. It is probably easier to find books you are interested in online but nothing beats the experience of a real book store. So when I find a book online I usually go to the book store and buy it there. I do like to support small businesses. Of course I also order online, especially when I have a gift card etc. 

Rather all books become movies or TV shows?

Movies. Cannot even explain why but that was the first thought that popped up in my head. I usually like the book better than the movie/TV show anyway. Really, I cannot explain my answer here. 

Rather read five pages per day or five books per week?

Five books per week of course. It would be fantastic to always have the time to always read five books per week. It would be so much easier to catch up on my to-be-read pile. I could never stop myself from reading after only 5 pages. 

Rather be a professional book reviewer or author?

An author of course. I wrote some book reviews a couple of years ago and I am still planning on writing some for the blog. I really hope that will happen at some point soon. I love reading book reviews. But holding a book in your hands that you have written yourself would be a dream come true. I should give it another try to write a book. I started a couple but never finished one. 

Rather only read 20 of the same books over and over or get to read a new book every six months?

Get to read a new book every six months. That would be sad, indeed. But having the read the same 20 books for the rest of my life would be even sadder. I do love to re-read  books, especially the Adrian Mole diaries and the Harry Potter books but I do need to read new books as often as possible. I mean, I always get so terribly excited when there is a new book of one of my favorite writers, I would not want to miss that feeling. 

Rather be a librarian or own a bookstore?

Own a bookstore. I could be like Bernard Black from Black Books. Or maybe not. But owning my very own book store would be fabulous. I could impose all my favorite books to my customers and would only sell vegan cooking books and non that include meat. And the crime section would be the hugest one in the store. 

Rather only read your favorite genre or your favorite author?

Favorite genre of course. I mean, that would give me a bigger selection at least. Duh. 

Rather only read physical books or eBooks?

I guess I need to go with the physical books because I have so many of them. I do love eBooks, I have a lot of books on my iPad and Kindle and it is perfect for traveling, plus I always have a ton of books with me which always makes me feel nice. I do love to stand in front of my bookshelves and look at my books though. And libraries and bookstores are wonderful places. 


Thank you for reading! It really means a lot to me that you always read my posts and leave so many lovely comments. Thank you! You are such great friends! I hope your new year will be filled with happiness and wonderful things! You are all fabulous and deserve the best!

Happy new year!

45 comments:

  1. Oh my god...only five pages per day?! Who could even do that?!?!?! I'd go nuts!!!!

    There's a new bookstore in our town and I can't wait to visit it! We went by today but they're closed for a few days for inventory, so we'll have to go next week...or should I say rather, "next year", lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, five pages a day! It would be so horrible to have to stop after only 5 pages! That is torture!

      Yay for the new bookstore! That is great! Sorry it was closed but I hope you will be able to go soon! I am sure it will be great! Bookstores are such fantastic places to hang out!

      Delete
  2. Black Books! I would love that. I'd be in your bookstore every single day. I might never leave. I'd be Fran. Happy New Year to you as well, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally be Fran in my bookstore! You can give the customers some great recommendations. And me of course!
      Have a happy new year!

      Delete
  3. I would love to have a girly outing to a bookstore with you! My favorite one in Scotland had a coffee shop in the middle so you really could spend hours there :)

    I love physical books, but eBooks are just so much more practical :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should totally open a bookstore together. :) Wouldn't that be so much fun?! :) The bookstore you described sounds perfect! I am pretty sure I would never want to leave!

      And yes, I agree, they are much more practical. Just not as fun to look at! :)

      Delete
  4. These are such good questions! But honestly, 5 pages a day? You'd likely never finish a book at that rate!

    You really ought to read the new crime series by JK Rowling as Robert Galbraith. The main character, the private detective, is male, but he has a female assistant that, after only two books, I can already tell will become more of a partner to him than an assistant. I'm so excited for the third book in that series to come out! They're based in London, so I love reading along and hearing he characters interacting in places I've been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, never! Plus I could never make myself stop reading after just 5 pages!

      I am sure it is great to know all the places where the book takes place! When will the third book come out? The books really sound great and I just got the first two books this morning! :) So I am hoping to start reading them soon! Thank you again for the recommendation! I am sure I will love them! <3

      Delete
  5. I would definitely rather own a bookstore, as I can add a section to let people borrow books, there's no law that says you can't lend books just because you're a store owner. I would probably have a small cafe also because you can't have a bookstore without a mini cafe, can't you?

    I wish you a blissful 2015 and many many happy reading time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bookstore definitely sounds lovely! I would clearly enjoy spending some times there. You are right, it has to have a little cafe as well. And I love the idea of lending the books!

      Have a wonderful 2015 full of happiness and fantastic books!

      Delete
  6. These questions! SO HARD!! I thought of taking the time to answer all of these questions myself, but then my head started to implode just a little bit. Haha. There are some questions, like, "What is your favorite movie?" that are just non-questions to me since the answer is always changing, fluctuating and never, ever, set in stone, haha! LOVE that you are a fellow bookworm. I'm going to you to ask for recommended titles in the future, hehe, I am one of those rare gals who will make a point to actually read books recommended to me, because I LOVE the connection and conversations afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, this is Gingi from www.domesticgeekgirl.com ... haha... HI!!! *waves like a madwoman*

      Delete
    2. It was hard to make a decision, some questions were hard! Haha, I would have loved to read your answers! And you are right about the movies. I do have some all time favorites but there are always some new ones I love as well. I love that you are a bookworm as well! Reading is one of my fave things to do! Please do not hesitate to ask for a recommendation! I read a lot of crime novels but also lots of other books. Are you on Goodreads? And I love discussing books as well!

      Delete
    3. I had the Goodreads app installed in my old phone, but I haven't installed it into my new one yet.. Out of all the books I am into, crime novels aren't ones I'm wild about.. I don't hate them, I just don't go out of my way for them.. I'm currently reading The Dresden Files at the moment, along with a bazillion other classics (I'm into a rereading the classics kick.. on Wizard of Oz right now..) but YES, please recommend some books!! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

      Delete
    4. I love the Wizard of Oz! :) But yeah, I do read a ton of crime novels but then I know that I do not need to recommend them to you. :) You can check my Goodreads page and see some books I liked but the ones that pop into my head are: the Adrian Mole diaries by Susan Townsend (hilarious), the Bob the street cat novels by James Bowen (for all crazy cat ladies), The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, Set this house in order by Matt Ruff....

      By the way, I cannot reply to your comments via email because you are set as a no-reply-blogger!

      Delete
  7. Reading more books this year is one of my goals! I used to read on a daily basis and really want to make more time for it again! Thank you for this encouraging post to take my book and just read! happy new year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great goal! I hope you can read lots of great books! I am doing fine so far, I am on my second book. Are you on Goodreads? Hugs!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish you lots of great books for 2015! <3

      Delete
  9. what a fun would you rather - book version. perfect. makes me think we should be goodreads friends? and i think the librarian vs. owning a bookstore question is so good - i would want to choose all the books and decorate (owner), but i'd also just want to spend the day helping people choose what to read/discussing novels (librarian).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed reading it! We should totally be Goodreads friends! You can add me here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/9071162-katrin
      I always love to meet fellow bookworms! It would be so much fun to help people find interesting books and discuss books all day long!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would defiantly visit your bookshop!

    Happy new year and all the best for 2015.


    www.blogsbygabrielle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Hehe thank you so much! I will let you know if I will ever be the owner of a bookshop. :) Have a happy and healthy year!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! :) Happy new year to you as well!

      Delete
  13. love these questions, might borrow them :) I think I pretty much agree with your answers though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you agree with so many things! I would loooove to read your answers though! :)

      Delete
  14. Our neighborhhod Barnes & Nobles close...~4 years later, we have TWO [small] used bookstores. I never thought the closing of a B&N could mean such good news! I really believe that used bookstores are likely the only thing that can compete at all with Amazon. Although, B&N has been transitioning into more of a gift store during the holidays (sooo many figurines, games, legos, and puzzles!). So, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those used bookstores. The smell is amazing. :) I do not have any good used bookstores in my area but a pretty good small store for new books. I love spending time there. the book ladies there are always so helpful and it is fun to chat with them. I have been in a Barnes & Nobles a couple of times and it is fun to browse around but I guess I prefer buying in the smaller ones. Or in used book stores because you can go crazy there and don't have to feel bad about spending so much money! :)

      Delete
  15. Sorry to tell that I'm one who read just 5-10 pages per day, I prefer physical books, e-reading make me tired to fast.
    regards
    Mihaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not have to be sorry. :) I am happy about everybody who likes to read at all. No matter if it is 5 pages a day or 500. :) You are right, it feels so much better to hold a physical book in your hand and be able to turn the page. :)

      Delete
  16. Sometimes, 5 pages is all I manage and to me that's better than none. My goal for this year is to read a book a month - somehow, I should be able to fit that into my schedule. I hope. I do like the ease of evoke but still prefer a real one in my hands. There is something about flipping the pages...
    Happy New Year to you and yours! Wishing you a wonderful, happy and healthy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes I do not have the time to read more than 5-10 pages at night and that is better than nothing. But it would be sad to only be allowed to read 5 pages every day. I hope you will be read as many books as you want to this year! I agree, it is a completely different experience to hold a real book in your hands!
      Thank you for your wishes! I hope your 2015 will be full of happiness and health!

      Delete
  17. That was so interesting! I love books too! And real bookstores and hard copies are really divine, no kindle can ever match that fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Ankita! I agree, it is such a wonderful experience to spend time in a bookstore and be able to hold the books in your hands!

      Delete
  18. I will always take bookstores over online. I love the way books feel in my hand and I can spend a whole afternoon in a bookstore browsing. It's heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending a whole afternoon (or day!) in a bookstore is one of my favorite things to do. Nobody is allowed to disturb me. And I agree, you cannot beat the feeling of a book in your hands. It's the best!

      Delete
  19. Have you watched Wallander series yet? I love reading your responses, makes me very eager to learn more about you and your book interests! I know how much you love physical books! These questions are pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen all the movies yet but a couple of times. A lot of stuff was different from the books though! Thank you so much, Rika! I am glad you liked reaidng my responses. It was fun to answer those questions!

      Delete
  20. My old friend like to read this books,, he love to reading your respons
    and i want learns more from you

    Poker Online Indonesia
    Poker IDN Terpercaya
    IDN Poker Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a perfect goal!! I hope you can read a great books all day, I will wait your second book ;)

    Agen IDN Poker
    IDN Poker
    Bandar Ceme

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...