Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mein Baby gehört zu mir, ist das klar?

Hallo meine Lieben,

I can't get enough of movies. I prefer to watch the original (English) version of a movie or a show because the German dubbing is terrible most of the time. Plus the voices sound really weird. I remember that I started to watch Friends in German. Then I watched it in English. And now I just can't watch it in German anymore. Most of the jokes are just not funny or they are translated in such a bad way that it doesn't make sense anymore. And the voices sound really really weird. I don't know why but they just don't fit to the characters. 

I will never understand why some German movie titles are completely different to the original title. Sometimes they even use an English title but not the original one. That doesn't make any sense to me. You just have to shake your head because it's so weird.

That's why I want to tell you about some really strange German movie or tv show titles today. 

Okay, first I want to start with an expression you all know. At the end of Dirty Dancing Johnny Castle says "Nobody puts Baby in the corner". I think that's the most famous line from the movie. In the German version he says "Mein Baby gehört zu mir, ist das klar?" which means "My Baby belongs to me, is that clear?". Hmmm. Why do they do that. I just don't get it. You can see the scene here:


At least the German title is Dirty Dancing too. 


Another weird one: I guess you all know the show "Saved by the bell". In German it is called "California High School". I guess Saved by the bell was too complicated for Germans. 



I always watched a show called "Eine starke Familie" (A strong family). In America it is known as "Step by step". Why, Germany? This title is not very complicated. You can just translate it into German. 


And why is the German title of the movie "The Departed" just "Departed"? Because Germans can't say a "th"? I am not sure. 

"Pirates of the Carribean" is called "Fluch der Karibik" (Curse of the Carribean). 

One of my favorite movies is "The Boondock Saints". Its German title is "Der blutige Pfad Gottes" which means "God's bloody path". Hmm. 


The TV show "Boy meets world" is called "Das Leben und ich". "The life and me". Okay, Germany. Good job. 
There is also a German show called "Mein Leben und ich", "My life and me". 

I love to watch "The Holiday" every December. It is the perfect Christmas time movie. The German title is "Liebe braucht keine Ferien", "Love doesn't need a holiday". Germany, you could just use the easy title. 


I would love to show you videos of all the Phoebe Buffay songs in German but I just can't find any. That's sad because they are really weird in German. And don't make any sense. 

Sheldon and Penny's "Soft Kitty" song from The Big Bang Theory is "Das Katzentanzlied" (The cat's dance song) in German. You can listen to it here.



So yeah, a completely different song with completely different lyrics. Why is that necessary?

"Meet the parents" is called "Meine Braut, ihr Vater und ich" (My bride, her dad and me).
"Meet the Fockers" is "Meine Braut, ihre Schwiegereltern und ich" (My bride, her parents-in-law and me).
I guess Germans like long titles.

"Braindead" is called "Braindead - Der Zombierasenmähermann". (Braindead - The zombie-lawn-mower-man). Hell yeah. 

"Evil dead" is "Tanz der Teufel" (Dance of the devils).

"Bend it like Beckham" is called "Kick it like Beckham" in German. I can't explain it. 

And "Spongebob Squarepants" is called "Spongebob Schwammkopf" (Spongebob spongehead). That makes a lot of sense. 



Okay, I could go on like that forever. But what is the weirdest movie title you have ever heard?

Have a lovely weekend!




23 comments:

  1. haha...i love "my bride, her parents-in-law and me." uh...maybe just say "my bride, my parents, and me"? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrin :)

    I think it is just how we Germans roll. We need to set our own stamp on each and everything. May it be that we give movies another title (even if it is English as well) or other things. I find that really weird too.
    And I do agree that it is no more fun to watch any show that has been synchronized once you saw the original. It's really strange. I love the "original" voice of Sean Connery although his German voice is not that bad either.
    But you know what I thought was really funny? When my husband and I were in Florida last fall we saw the preview of an episode of Alarm für Cobra 11 in Spanish! How weird is that???

    xx
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy!
      I agree, we Germans are weird. :) I mean, most German titles are a lot more complicated.
      It is so strange to watch synchronized shows...I just can't stand it.
      But that is awesome!!! Alarm für Cobra 11 in Spanish? In Florida? So strange. :)) haha!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh. I have had so many problems with this! I actually watched Das Perfekte Verbrechen, and loved it, but I have NO IDEA what the English title is because it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!! It drives me nuts. They do it with books, too, and I HATE it!!
    Sheesh. Why do they have to make things so complicated here!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't understand it! It's so confusing and does not make any sense. Sometimes David talks about movies and I say that I have never heard about it but it just has a different title in German. I hate it!

      Delete
  4. Na dann müsstet ihr mal die Filme in chinesisch betitelt und synchronisiert sehen bzw. hören ... :-) Übrigens, liebe Katrin, ist das das erste Mal, dass good old germany WIRKLICH ÜBERHAUPT NICHT GUT weg kommt ... :-o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Na, auf chinesisch hab ich mir bisher noch nichts angesehen. Aber scheint ja noch schlimmer zu sein. Hier hat Deutschland halt einfach mal versagt! :)

      Delete
  5. toller blog! :)
    würde mich sehr freuen wenn du auch mal bei mir vorbeischauen würdest ♥
    ttcybeauty.blogspot.com

    liebste grüße ♥
    p.s. ein gewinnspiel läuft momentan bei mir :)
    http://ttcybeauty.blogspot.de/2012/04/uber-760-leser-gewinnspiel.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön! Freut mich sehr!
      Und ich schau auch gleich mal bei Dir vorbei! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm the same about The Holiday, I watch it during the holidays all the time. The ending scene of the movie just looks lovely, the family dancing around the living room. Just perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it too, Vanisha! It always makes me feel good. :)

      Delete
  7. Soft Kitty in German is one of the best things I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is? Cool! :) I thought everybody likes the English version better!

      Delete
  8. This stuff ALWAYS cracks me up. I start so many things with, well I don't know what y'all call it in German, but…

    the dirty dancing thing is hysterical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yeah, it seems like Germans have a different name for EVERYTHING! :)

      Delete
  9. i have to laugh at this too!!! what i find even more funny is that the danes and norwegians do it too...but their movie is the original english version. so they translate the title but not the movie itself?! i dont get it !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really weird. Why would they do that!?

      Delete
  10. Why is that necessary?
    But in the case of "SpongeBob Schwammkopf" I understand the descicion bocause it is an alliteration like "SpongeBob Squarepants" while "SpongeBob Quadrathosen" doesn't sound good.
    Surely, my English is very bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it's necessary! They could stick with the original title! But yeah, I agree with the Spongebob thing. :)

      Delete
  11. I love that even without knowing the language you can tell exactly what's going on in that BBT scene!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naja, dein Englisch ist a ned grad "DEnglisch" - free ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...