Friday, February 14, 2014

Diary of horror - cutting out refined sugar - day two & three & four.

Hallo meine Lieben,

first of all: happy Valentine's Day! No matter if you like it or not. I think Grumpy Cat does not. 



I am still living the sugar free life! Well, no refined sugar at least, I do eat fruits. If I could not eat any fruits then I would have a problem.

Last night I woke up at 3 am and I felt terrible. All I could think of was cake, chocolate, candy, pie, pudding, chips, hot chocolate....It was horrible, I can tell you. My body needed some sugar. I could not take it any longer. So I got up, walked to the fridge, opened it and grabbed anything I craved. I felt so relieved...but I also knew that I failed.,,,

Well, that is what I thought would happen at some point. 

But it did not (at least not yet). I am still staying strong. I am still living without adding any refined sugar and avoiding food that contains any sugar. And surprisingly, it isn't that bad. I really expected that there would be any weird cravings but that did not really happen. Of course, when I saw a vegan apple pie I thought that I could eat a piece of that. But I did not feel like I had to eat a piece. 

I probably ate an unhealthy amount of raisins over the last couple of days...I don't know how many raisins count as unhealthy but I ate a lot. And nuts. Lots and lots of nuts, unsweetened yogurt, brussel sprouts, broccoli, chick peas, potatoes, coconut milk, bananas....I made a lot of smoothies, drank a lot of tea....it was actually pretty healthy what I ate but I also think that I ate more than usual. I don't know why but I think I had to made up for all the missing sugar. If that makes any sense. But I ate so healthy (except of the 17 pounds of raisins) that I feel totally fine. I think I even lost 20 grams. Haha. I don't weigh myself very often so I don't really keep track of my weight. 

So yes, I am feeling fine and I am not having any weird cravings. Only one more day of my experiment left. I will definitely try to eat as less refined sugar as possible but I am also looking forward to eating some cookies or chocolate at some point soon. 

Thank you for all your support! It really means a lot to me!

Have a great day!



17 comments:

  1. Hello there! Well first well done to you! I couldn't imagine how it would be not using any sugar, but maybe I should give it a try. No chocolate and sweets would be hard for me, but maybe I need the challenge! So stay strong for the final day! Have an awesome weekend!
    Franziska

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I think it is definitely worth a try! Now that it is over I don't feel like I need sugar anymore. It was great to eat some cake today but I will definitely use less sugar now. I don't want to give up chocolate forever, that is for sure! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are so awesome, Katrin! I don't think I could do that - or at least it would be REALLY hard. Keep on doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alyx! I really thought it would be harder! I did not have any terrible candy cravings. I would not completely give up sugar forever but I will definitely use less from now on.

      Delete
  3. Good for you, Katrin, you're so strong! I don't think I have the will to get rid of sugar for a whole week :/. I so need to get back on track in terms of eating healthily, though :( ...

    Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! And happy weekend! ;D

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a happy Valentine's Day, Miki! And that your weekend is going great! Thanks so much for your kind words! It was an interesting experiment but I also enjoyed a piece of cake today. :) Hugs!

      Delete
  4. You go girl! Congratulations on sticking to your diet all week! I need to do something similar soon, my sweet tooth is out of control. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Martha! It definitely was an interesting experiment. I do have a sweet tooth as well but I realized that I don't need as much sugar as I thought! :)

      Delete
  5. Go girl!! I always say I'm going to do this and never do, but maybe you can give me the last kick of diet inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! It was very interesting. I realized that I don't need as much sugar as I thought. I did enjoy a piece of chocolate cake today though. :)

      Delete
  6. How was your Valentine’s Day? Congratulations leading a sugar-free life! I also need to cut down some sugar as well, but I am more a savory type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Valentine's Day was pretty uneventful! :) How was yours? Thank you so much, Rika! It was very interesting and I realized that there is sugar where I did not expect it. I am more a savory type as well but I also enjoy something sweet once in a while. Today I had some fantastic vegan cake. :)

      Delete
  7. well you're a stronger woman than me that's for sure, I've just eaten a family size bar of milk chocolate! (yes I do feel a bit sick....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! But I only did it for 5 days and I could not resist dark chocolate forever. That is for sure. :) I would feel sick after a family size portion of chocolate too but it would definitely be worth it! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so proud of you you kept going! Once you get used to what you can eat that doesn't contain refined sugar it gets easier and you think less about it. I do have times where I don't try to eat any sweets (like Fastenzeit before Easter every year) and it goes well for about 4 or 5 weeks...but then I can't take it any longer ;) I think it's all about the balance. I make muffins with cranberries, chocolate and walnuts but don't add any more sugar than that - healthy, low sugar and so delicious - and I don't feel like I have to miss out on sweets :)
    I'm so amazed you did this to figure out what it's like - you're so amazing!
    Ich drück Dich noch Mal ganz feste, liebe Katrin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beate! Your words really mean a lot to me. I did not think it would be so easy to get used to it. Sometimes I just crave something sweet and then I eat it but I don't need it all the time. Your muffins sound delicious! I need to give those a try! Thank you!
      Thank you, Liebes! Ich drueck Dich ganz feste!

      Delete
  9. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...