Thursday, February 20, 2014

Random Thursday. Movies I hate to admit I loved...

Hallo meine Lieben,

welcome to another Random Thursday with LinEm and me. Thanks so much for reading, commenting and linking up. You guys all rock!
I hope you are having a fantastic week. 




Well, I have thought about this a lot. I even asked David for his opinion and he said that he can't think of anything I like that I am ashamed of. And I guess he is right. I do not hate to admit that I love anything I love because I really could not care less what other people think of my taste. I like what I like and if other people think this is stupid, then it is their problem and not mine. I never had a problem to share my opinion...even if people disapproved or thought that I am not cool because I don't share their opinion. People will always be judgmental and if they don't approve of anything I like then that's okay for me. 

So here are some movies others might find stupid or not worthy to enjoy but I do. 

The Malibu Bikini Shop - Two brothers who have just graduated from college inherit a bikini store from their aunt. Sounds like a fantastic movie to me. I am pretty sure I am the only person who ever watched this movie and I still have it on VHS somewhere. If they would show it on TV ever again, I would totally spend 90 minutes enjoying some early childhood memories. 

I did enjoy watching the Twilight movies. Well except of the second last, that one was boring like hell. I do not love these movies but they are definitely entertaining. I even enjoyed reading the books...even when the writing was horrible and the main female character a hot mess which you can only hate or feel sorry for. Or both. But: I felt entertained. I don't watch these movies all the time, I have watched them once but I did enjoy sitting on the couch, eating lots of chips and watching a vampire and a werewolf trying to save an annoying girl. You don't have to think, you can just sit down and relax. And sometimes that is what you need. I am aware of the fact that those books are not great literature. That the movies are not award-worthy. I don't care. In my opinion I do have a good taste in movies, shows and books. And I don't care if there are some pieces among those which are not worth to be proud of. 

One of my favorite movies ever is The Sword in the Stone. Do I hate to admit that I love children's movies. Of course I don't. This movie is fantastic, funny, exciting and it has an important message. What is not to love about it. Some people might look down on you because you love to watch movies which are made for children. Who cares. People who are afraid to be childish totally miss out. 




Okay, and here are some other movies that others might find disturbing or weird or embarrassing or boring or stupid - which I totally like. 

Can't buy me love - Patrick Dempsey before he was McDreamy as a nerd fighting for the love of a girl. And mowing the lawn. I love it. Also Seth Green is in that movie. It's one of my childhood favorites. 





Camp Cucamonga - Jennifer Aniston is in it. And Steve Urkel. Also a favorite movie from my childhood. It is about romance and pranks. That pretty much sums it up. 
Dodgeball - A group of misfits enter a Las Vegas dodgeball tournament in order to save their cherished local gym from the onslaught of a corporate health fitness chain. Makes me laugh every single time I watch it. They make jokes about Germans plus Chuck Norris is in it. 




Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies - I am not sure if this is an only European thing or not. Maybe you can help me out. Who else knows them? They are basically about punching people. A lot. 
Just Bud Spencer movies -for example "Der Große mit seinem außerirdischen Kleinen" - A young humanoid alien who gets stranded on earth hooks up with a grizzled old sheriff in a western town and tries to help him solve a tough case, but the sheriff doesn't want any help from a "kid." - does that sound like something you might be embarrassed about? 




Baseketball - Two childhood friends are pro athletes of a national sport called BASEketball, a hybrid of baseball and basketball, and must deal with a greedy businessman scheming against their team. Stupid story but very entertaining.
Bubba Ho-Tep - Elvis and JFK, both alive and in nursing homes, fight for the souls of their fellow residents as they battle an ancient Egyptian Mummy. How can you not love this. 
Die Lümmel von der ersten Bank - and all other Hansi Kraus movies. Definitely a German thing. Those are movies from the 60's, they take place in a school and are all about making fun of teachers and playing pranks. 
Roy Black movies and shows - especially "Ein Schloß am Wörthersee", a German TV series about a hotel at a lake. As exciting as it sounds but it reminds me of my childhood (it is from the 90s). I even visited that hotel once. 
Wayne's World - You just have to love Wayne and Garth. Especially Garth. 
Bio-Dome - again, not sure if I am the only one who watched this movie. This is a typical Sunday afternoon movie for me. "Moronic best friends get themselves locked inside the Bio-Dome, a science experiment, along with a group of environmental scientists for one year." As you can see, I love movies with great plots. 


What movie do you love but are ashamed to admit it to the rest of the world?



24 comments:

  1. ha! i don't know where to begin with twilight. i read the books - so it's a fair play when i say it's not a good book. i agree. the writing is poor. i don't even understand why the leading female character is worth fighting for between 2 boys. anyway, i watched the movie once in the theatre (when we went to the theatre, it was the ONLY movie that's being screened in their 5 studios at all screening time-no kidding). off we watched it and we couldn't help but laughing at everything. guess when you can't beat it, you have to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books really are terribly written. No doubt. And yeah, you are right. I don't see the point why they fight for that girl. :) You can't really take that movie seriously but it is definitely entertaining because it makes you laugh!

      Delete
  2. I loved Can't Buy Me Love. What an awesome film. I totally forgot that Seth Green was in that. And yes I did see Bio-Dome as well. Wasn't Pauley Shore in that?

    To answer your question, I probably would have to say Weekend at Bernies lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Seth Green was pretty young in that movie. :) Pauley Shore is in Bio-Dome, you are right!

      I have not seen Weekend at Bernies! Need to check it out! :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't see any of the movies you mentioned except 'can't buy me love' & wayne's world which I thought were fun to watch, although it has been a while since I saw them. I like those 80's movies where people do crazy things to get what they want.

    I hate to admit it but I can't watch movies with vampires in them. they freak me out.

    I can't think of any movie that I'm ashame to admit to liking, but I, too, like movies that caters to kid, cause they are fun to watch and you don't feel crappy watching them.

    hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a while since I saw them as well but I think I need to watch them again at some point soon. I agree about the 80s movies.

      I do find vampires entertaining. I am sorry they freak you out!

      Children's movies definitely rule! :) Glad you like them too!

      Have a great day, Lissa!

      Delete
  4. I didn't mind Twilight too much, since I love vampires and werewolves! It's dumb but so what. And I like a lot of kiddie movies, nothing wrong with that. Not every movie has to be a big intellectual exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dumb but entertaining. And things that entertain you can't be wrong (as long as they are legal and don't hurt anybody. haha). And I agree, not everything has to be super intellectual. :)

      Delete
  5. I may have to watch some of these to see why you love them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will like them as well if you check them out! :)

      Delete
  6. I love kid movies. A lot of the movies on my list are meant for a younger audience, but I don't even care, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are so right. I don't care either! :)

      Delete
  7. I love Dodgeball! I love Justin Long and Vince Vaughn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, love them too! The movie is hilarious!

      Delete
  8. camp cucamonga! yessss!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Twilight movies, but wasn't as impressed by the books. It was weird - in the movies I loved Edward's character, but in the books he annoyed me quite a bit. I eneded up liking Jacob better in the books than the movies though. I think this has been my only experience with liking a movie BETTER than a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the books first and I don't know why I kept reading because the writing is so horrible. I am not sure if I like the books or the movies better. I really don't like the second last movie, it was so boring for me. But I agree, I usually like the books better.

      Delete
  10. Ah, I’m quite embarrassed, I haven’t watched any of these films before! I can’t think of a movie I am ashamed of loving it… mostly foreign films. I really like the Japanese anime film, Wolf Children, it's based on kids growing up as wolves, but I don’t watch Japanese animes lol, which is something I don't normally watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason to be embarrassed, Rika. Most of them are not very popular. :) So nobody really needs to know them! I have never seen Wolf Children but I guess I have only seen 1 or 2 anime films ever. :) Sounds interesting though!

      Delete
  11. Katrin, great timing on this post. I watched City of Bones on the flight back home and I found myself liking it WAY too much than I have any right to. And I feel so guilty about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, glad that the timing was right! Don't feel guilty about liking the movie! I haven't seen it but I am sure the ones I like are much worse! :)

      Delete
  12. I love Can't Buy Me Love! I remember seeing it in the theater when I was a very little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I realized that I have never seen it in English, only on German TV. Now I need to watch the original version!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...