Friday, July 20, 2012

Book club! More serial killers and a paradise for animals.

Hallo meine Lieben,


I hope you're all doing great! I had such a fabulous evening yesterday. 
David and I were invited by friends of David's co-worker to spend the evening on their farm. 
It is such a fabulous place, they have rescue horses and cats and a dog. Kids are able to spend time at their farm and enjoy the nature, have fun with the animals, they have bonfires etc. They can just be kids. Some of those kids are foster kids or kids with disabilities. They have the chance to just enjoy the time and forget about their problems.
I have spent time with the horses, the mini schnauzer Izzy, the numerous cats, I have seen rabbits and deer...but there was one animal that won my heart in a second: the little rescue kitten. I think she liked me too, she spent most of the evening in my arm.



Okay, that's not my arm but I had to take a picture. 

The owners of the farm also invited one of their family members: an elderly lady who immigrated from Germany to America 46 years ago. She wanted to meet me so I got to speak some German which was awesome. They also made Sauerkraut for us. I loooove Sauerkraut!

I think David fell in love with their dog but he also liked the horses a lot.



All in all, we had a wonderful evening and we will definitely go back to visit the animals and the lovely owners for sure. 

It's Friday so I am linking up with Heather from Blonde...Undercover Blonde for the book club.






Today I want  to talk about a book I got last week from David as a birthday gift. He knows my taste. 
It is called "The anniversary man" written by R.J. Ellory.








First of all: It is a book about serial killers. That's reason enough to buy it and read it in my opinion. But it is also very well written and intense. 
I wanted to start  reading immediately after I read the blurb. It is absolutely my kind of book and it is definitely a book that you just can't stop reading.


(My problem is that I always read a couple of books at the same time so I need to divide my reading time which can be very difficult sometimes.)


Twenty years ago, the life of John Costello dramatically changed when his girlfriend Nadia was killed by a serial killer named "Hammer of God" who terrorized Jersey City in the summer of 1984. The killer went after young couples and his plan was to "save their souls". John survived the attack of the killer but he was physically and psychologically scarred: he withdrew from society and hid in his house. He only emerges for his work as a crime researcher for a newspaper.

He is specialized in serial killers, he knows everything about them. So when more murders are committed in the city which seem to be random and unrelated, John is the only one to who can see the complex pattern that lies behind them. 
A very dangerous and breath-taking hunt -with the help of NYPD detective Ray Irving- for the killer begins.....


I definitely recommend reading this book. My favorite aspect of it - except of the fact that it is a book about a serial killer- is the fantastic characterization. 
I am very impressed and I definitely plan to read more books from this author.


What are you currently reading?


Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time on the farm! The kitten is just sooo sweet! I want to adopt it so I can pet it all day long :D
    Hopefully you can go back this weekend...

    I love Sauerkraut, too!!!! It`s just so good! How was the German ladys German after having lived in the US for so long? Does she speak a lot of German? My aunt`s German (she has been living in the US for about 15 years) is getting really bad, even though she speaks in nearly every day.

    Cheers,
    Miss Sugar Shack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the kitten is adorable! I want to adopt it too! I would cuddle with her 24 hours every day. :) Can't wait to go back and see her again!

      Sauerkraut is awesome! The woman still had a strong Bavarian accent and that sounded so funny! I loved the way she talked although her German also sounded a little American...I don't know how to explain that! It is funny that your aunt's German is getting so bad....I don't know how that can happen!

      Delete
  2. This farm sounds fabulous to me! The rescue animals, the kids being able to enjoy everything there...this sounds like something exactly for me :)
    I'm glad you got to spend some time there. Love the little kitten and I smiled about the pic with David on the horse, nice one - did he like it? Did you get to ride it too?

    The book you introduced to us sounds really good! If I get a chance to read something (the studying always keeps me from doing it) I'll definitely have to try it.
    If I find a few minutes I'm currently reading the "House of Night" series. Love them...they are easy to read and the story is just great.

    Have a great day and a good time at the concert tonight! :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fabulous! We had so much fun and I am sure you would like it there too!
      David liked riding the horse a lot! He wants to do it again!I loved it too!

      I haven't heard about the "House of night" series but I will check it out! I hope you will find more time to read! :)

      Have a wonderful Sunday!

      Delete
  3. That kitten is absolutely adorable!! I am glad y'all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day! I am so in love with the kitten!

      Delete
  4. Serial killers? Is like Dexter? If so, I'm in! haha

    I also read like 3 books at a time. Very bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love serial killers. :) I mean, I love reading about it. :)

      Delete
  5. Awe, this post has made my heart happy, Katrin! I'm so glad there are kind people like them in the world!!! I need to do something good. I always think I don't have enough money, but there's always something one can do, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there really is. I love to go to the shelter to walk the dogs or play with the cats. It makes me feel good and I am sure the animals like it too! We need more kind people in this world!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...