Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday confessions! Storms, German bread, trees and mystical countries.



Hallo meine Lieben,


we lost power but I was able to schedule a Sunday confessions post! I really hope power will be back soon so that I am able to read all your wonderful posts! 
I am linking up with fabulous Alyx from Every day is a new adventure.

1. I feel like we are at war because I am not able to cook and I don't have any light. I can't watch TV and I don't have internet. I am really glad that I am a bookworm so I don't get bored like hell. I charged my kindle to the maximum and I am happy that I have a book light. And I am so thankful that we still have water! Yay!



2. Grapes are not a meal. I had no real food for 24 hours and I have to say that I can get a little grouchy when I am hungry. I had some salt pretzels and grapes for dinner. Then I went to bed but I was still pretty hungry. I woke up and thought the power would be back but...no. Nothing. They say it won't be back before July 8 which is very nice. So I should go and get lots of tofu Würstchen so that we can grill every night. And I need to find some German bread, I want a delicious breakfast! :)

3. David thought about setting the tent up and sleep in the backyard because it is too hot for him in the house. He needs air conditioning to be able to sleep  and he usually has a fan on. I feel really really bad for him because he won't get that much sleep in the hot house. 


4. I have to say that I felt a little sad at first because I will probably miss the new episode of True Blood tonight. But then I  realized that there are people whose situation is much worse than mine. Like families with kids or older people. I mean, I have water to drink, pretzels to eat and books to read. And I don't mind the heat. So I will be fine. But I really hope that they can fix it soon. And not at midnight at July 8. Come on, that's unacceptable!





5. I have read so many books from Iceland in the last weeks....so now I want to learn the Icelandic language so badly. It sounds so awesome and I am fascinated with it. The only problem is that only people from Iceland speak that language and I have no idea if I will ever be able to use it if I learn it. I am not planning on moving to Iceland, I just want to go on a vacation there. So maybe I better learn Spanish. Or Italian. Or another language that lots of people speak.






I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday! Stay safe!

20 comments:

  1. No power for a week? That's crazy! Where are you and why is there no power? I feel like I missed something important. I hope you can make it through the week quickly and not hungry at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Ohio, Breenah. We had some really bad storms on Friday and millions of people lost power. I really hope it won't take 8 days. At least we have water. Thanks for your good wishes!

      Delete
  2. Vielen lieben Dank :) Ich denke, die Migräne wurde letztendlich durch mein neues Medikament gegen Heuschnupfen ausgelöst. Aber gerade bei dem schönen Wetter war das natürlich super ätzend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, das kann ich mir vorstellen! Ich hab auch Heuschnupfen, das kann auch ganz schön nervig sein.

      Delete
  3. I experienced power outage where I am a few years ago and it wasn't so bad. I'm glad there aren't too much of these or we'll all end up starting over.

    anyway, hope you get your power back soon & have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lissa! I am still hoping that we will get in back Monday or Tuesday! I am sorry that you had to experience it too.

      Delete
  4. Oh no, that is awful! I know how tough it can be sleeping in a house without AC, hope you will have your power back in no time! Hang in there, Suesse!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Chrissy! Du bist so lieb! I really hope that we will get it back soon. David can't stand the heat, he can't sleep like that.
      Have a great evening! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Wow! A week without power? I would go crazy! I am sure it will make you appreciate it when it is back though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am sure I will. We are at my family's house at the moment so I am glad they are giving us shelter. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh no power til the 8th???? That is crazy! I can't even imagine! So medieval!

    I have a few friends here from Iceland and the language is so crazy sounding! And whenever we talk about how hard German is they say icelandic is even harder - people that live there their whole lives but don't have it as a first language apparently still can't speak it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't really believe it! It sounds so unreal! No power for more than a week? I have never seen anything like that before!

      Wow, you have friends from Iceland? That's so great! I would really love to learn the language but it seems like it's impossible. :)

      Delete
  7. Yikes- das ist eine lange Zeit ohne Strom. Bin froh zu hoeren dass Euch nix passiert ist (ausser dem Strom natuerlich)! Und NOCH ein Unterschied zwischen Dland und hier: die Oberlandleitungen. Fast alle Stromleitungen sind (zumindestens) in Seattle ueber der Erde, da passiert es viel viel haeufiger dass der Strom ausfaellt wenn es einen Sturm gab. Ist mir in Deutschland noch nie passiert.

    Haltet durch, hoffentlich geht es schneller als gedacht!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ist mir in Deutschland auch noch nie passiert. Mal ne Stunde ohne Strom ja. Aber mehr als ne Woche? Das kommt mir so unwirklich vor! Im Moment sind wir noch bei den Schwiegereltern, aber ich bin mal gespannt, was in den naechsten Tagen noch so abgeht! :)
      Dank Dir, das ist wirklich lieb!

      Delete
  8. Whoa, no power?!?! I hope it comes back soon! And where do you find German bread in the states? I could use some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am hoping that it might be back tomorrow. We will see!
      I wasn't able to find any German bread yet so I am thinking about baking my own. You have to be creative. Haha.

      Delete
  9. Bummer! I hope the power comes back way before the 8th! Can't you guys be compensated by Edison (not the actual Edison, eh! Haha, the electricity company. Or, well, whichever company it is you have) for such a long blackout?

    Awe, Iceland! Bjork! Love her music! Well, her older stuff anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that we got it back and did not have to wait until July 8th! I have no idea if we can be compensated for that...millions of people have been without power (and still are)...I don't know what the company will do about it.

      I love her older stuff too! :) I would love to travel to Iceland!!!

      Delete
  10. That sucks about the power. The lack of AC has been a complaint from a lot of people back home. I have a hard time having sympathy on that count only because we haven't had AC all summer (and won't) whereas they'll get theirs back in a couple days lol. I do feel bad for all the people who lost food in their fridges/freezers though. As for learning the language of Iceland, why not? I took German in HS and my parents were convinced it was silly and I should have taken Spanish because I wasn't likely to ever go to one of the few German speaking countries. So of course when we randomly got orders here for three years the first thing I had to mention was that I would get to use it after all :-P (Of course I didn't learn or retain as much as I would have liked back then but a lot of what gets me by in every day interactions here are the basics I remembered). I did start learning a little Spanish when I lived in FL and I plan to start working on it again when we move to TX but I don't think there's any harm in learning at least the basics in several languages. If nothing else, you have a hobby and a perfect excuse to plan a vacation to any place where you can at least greet someone, order dinner, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree with the AC. I did not really worry about that because I don't mind the heat, most people don't have air conditioning in Germany. I never had and never needed it but I guess the walls are a little thicker in Germany. I don't know. I was just concerned about the food and it was really bad for old people etc.
      And I definitely want to learn Icelandic some day. At least some basics. I just think that my day needs more hours. Haha. I also want to learn Spanish and improve my French. And there are hundreds of other things I would love to do.
      It is awesome that you took German in HS, I guess most people took Spanish. Maybe you already knew back then that you would move to Germany someday. And I definitely want to go on an extended vacation to Iceland someday so it would be nice to speak their language!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...