Monday, July 16, 2012

Minus the Bear...and some other bands I never heard of.

Hallo meine Lieben,

I hope you guys had a fabulous weekend! Mine was great, I got to spend lots of time with David and my American family. I also ate way too much and gained two pounds. Haha. 
Yesterday David and I went to a Minus The Bear concert in Columbus. Minus The Bear is one of David's all time favorite bands (also: The Smashing Pumpkins and Mew) and he introduced me to their music when we met. And I am glad he did because I loooove their music. They are great. Period. David has been to a couple of their concerts too but I have never seen them playing so I was really really excited. 


We arrived their early so had to wait half an hour in a very long line before we were able to go into the concert hall. We got a great spot in second row so we were able to see everything. Yay for that. I am so blind that I need to be close to the stage. 

Minus The Bear were the co-headliner together with The Airborne Toxic Event, a band that I have never heard of. But it seemed like they were pretty famous, I got the impression that most people, especially the one between the age of 16 and 20, came just because of this band. 
The support act was a girl in a glittery dress named Tristan who played some nice songs and had a great voice. I liked her funny dancing moves but I wasn't overly impressed with her music. 


Then it was time for Minus The Bear. And time for David to be shocked because of my lack of musicians knowledge. There were some guys on the stage doing the sound check and I was pretty sure that these guys must be the roadies. Because: first of all, roadies usually do the sound check and not the band. And second: I love MTB's music but I have to admit that I have seen pictures of the band but I am really bad with names and faces so I did not recognize them. Plus, in Germany people start to scream when the band enters the stage, even when they just bring a bottle of water. And nobody got excited here so I assumed that these people were the roadies. I was wrong and David was shocked. 

Anyway, the concert was amazing. Minus The Bear is a fabulous live band and I got really excited. The bass player was pretty entertaining because he was pretty drunk ( I assumed so, he emptied his first bottle of beer after the first song and I am pretty sure that he had a couple of beers before that.) and showed his thumbs up after every song they played. The guitar player was a very sweaty guy who played a song with a towel over his head. Now that I have seen this band live I can say that I love their music but also the band members seem to be really nice guys you would want to hang out with. I am sure David and those guys could be great friends, I should find a way to introduce them. 

I think they played 3 songs of their new album which will be released next months. I liked those songs a lot, especially one of them and I can't wait to listen to their album. 

I was a little disappointed because after one song they just left the stage and did not come back for a Zugabe. And that's what I expect from a band I love. But I guess people were waiting for the other band to play. A fact that I can't really understand. 

Here are some pictures of Minus The Bear. I apologize for the horrible quality of the pictures but I forgot to bring my camera and had to take pictures with my iPhone. 








I really really like their band name. It comes from an inside joke among the band members and I think that's how a band name should be. Here is the story of it:

"It is referring to the 70's television program, B. J. and the Bear. "A friend of the band had gone on a date,” explains singer-guitarist Jake Snider, "and one of us asked him afterwards how the date went. Our friend said, 'You know that TV show from the '70s B.J. and The Bear? It was like that... minus The Bear.' That’s the straight truth.""

Awesome story. 
Anyway when Minus The Bear finished their set we left our spot in the second row and walked around a bit and looked for shirts.
We have never heard of The Airborne Toxic Event which is surprising because David knows every band on this planet. Not kidding. So we wanted to check out that band and see if we like it.
After a couple of songs we had to realize that we did not like their music. David thought that the singer is a bad Bruce Spingsteen impersonator. I thought that they sounded like a band that would play at a high school prom dressed up as wannabe rock stars. One guy looked like Russel Brand (Pfui), the other guy looked like he came from a bad early 90's reality show. 
So yeah, we were not really impressed. We waited a couple of songs for the music to get better which never happened so we left early to eat something and watch the newest episode of Breaking Bad. 

Do you guys know that band? Do you like Minus The Bear? Have you watched Breaking Bad? 
Have a fabulous week!

18 comments:

  1. i don't hear much of The Minus Bear, but i love Mew. especially the song 'Symmetry'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would like Minus The Bear too! Mew are fantastic!

      Delete
  2. I will have to check this band out! I am terrible with bands, I really didn't grow up with much music but I do love songs when I am working out or entertaining friends :)

    Glad you had fun! Concerts always have a nice energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like the band! I really love them a lot and I want everybody else to love them too!
      And going to concerts is so much fun!
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of the band but just looked them up & they're pretty darn good. Glad you had fun, you know, minus the crappy band. Going home to watch the latest episode of Breaking Bad was probably a good idea since I hear it was pretty good. Im still on the first season so we'll so how long it takes me to get to the new episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you like them too! We had a really fun night! We only came because of Minus The Bear so it wasn't that bad that the other band sucked so much. :) Breaking Bad was so much better! I started to watch it a couple of weeks ago and we watched one episode every night. So Friday we watched the last episode of season 4 and I was ready for the new season to start. :)

      Delete
  4. I'll have to look up Minus the Bear. I've heard of them but I'm not sure I've heard their music. As far as the Airborne Toxic Event...I have never heard their music, but it's disappointing if they're bad because I'm pretty sure they took their name from Don DeLillo's White Noise which is a pretty good book. I really liked Breaking Bad. I started late and watched the first four seasons pretty much straight through. I got my husband to start watching them recently also. Unfortunately we won't get to see the new season for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award: http://wp.me/p1RjNH-Hb

      Delete
    2. I hope you will like them too. They are so fantastic! :)
      Yeah, I have read that the name comes from that book. I haven't read it yet but I hope it's better than the band. :) Haha, but I guess a lot of people liked that band a lot...
      That's how we watched Breaking Bad too (but David has seen it before). Can't you watch it online?
      Thank you so much, Amanda! :) I'm honored! I will post about it soon!

      Delete
    3. I think it was pretty good.
      I haven't tried to find it online. I usually wait til things are out on DVD.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Katrin! I'd never heard of these bands. I love going to concerts :P, even if I don't care much about the bands that are playing. Just seeing artists perform makes me happy, hehe.

    Hope you have a fab week! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's funny. :) I love concerts too! It is always something special to see a band live.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. All of my friends are obsessed with Minus hte Bear, so I should probably check them out. I'm going to a Ghostland Obsevatory concert this weekend adn know like 2 whole songs.. I am not hip on my music but rather follow my friends because I don't want to miss out, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, they are awesome! :)) I have never heard of Ghostland Observatory! But I will definitely check them out and I hope you will have a great time and like all their songs! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry that the music didn't get better for you but it did sound like it was a pretty great nice, just to get out and let your hair down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a wonderful evening! And I saw one of my favorite bands so I could not ask for more! :)

      Delete
  8. I love live concerts. I dont know any of the bands :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concerts are the best! :) I am sure you would like Minus The Bear!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...