Saturday, July 7, 2012

Weird ear worms and Christmas ice-cream trucks.

Hallo meine Lieben,


I have the weirdest ear worms at the moment. I wake up and have some very strange tunes in my ear and I can't stop singing. I don't know what's wrong with me. Maybe I should see a doctor. Maybe I am going insane. 


Today I am singing " I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and gay" the whole time. It is getting a little annoying but I can't help myself. 






Yesterday it was another weird song. I don't know why i remembered that song but it reminds me of my childhood. My Dad had a tape in his car and we listened to that tape all the time when we drove somewhere. I loved that tape although I am definitely not a fan of German schlager. The song is called "Da sprach der alte Häuptling der Indianer". The singer is Gus Backus and the funny thing is that he is an American but lived in Wiesbaden, Germany. He was in the US Army but became a very famous singer in Germany in the 60's. That's so funny. 



The day before it was Elvis' "Muss i denn zum Städtele hinaus". Did you know that Elvis sang in German too? I mean, he lived in Germany for a while so it makes perfect sense. I love how he sings German with an American accent, it is so adorable. It always makes me smile.




Even The Beatles recorded some of their songs in German. I love the German version of "I want to hold your hand". Komm gib mir deine Hand...lalala. Or "Sie liebt Dich yeah yeah yeah" instead of "She loved you". 


I love the fact that American artists recorded German versions of their songs. Usually it's the other way round. Everybody wants to be as English as possible. I love American and English music but I admire every German artist who sings in German. My heart will always be half German, half American. Or maybe 51% German. Haha. 


I am realizing that talking about all those songs and listening to them again won't help me to get rid of my ear worms. But I don't think there is any way to get rid of them. 
I am not sure how long David can stand listening to me constantly singing...we will see. 


Do you have ear worms? I guess that's a normal thing, I just don't know why mine are always so weird. 


Another weird one is "Marmor Stein und Eisen bricht". I talked about that song to David yesterday and I made the reckless assertion that every German knows the lyrics of that song, no matter how old you are. Am I right? I mean, that song is from 1965 but you still hear it everywhere. You can't escape it. And after 6 beers you sing it enthusiastically. My parents loved that song and played it at every party....the kids sang along, the grandparents, everybody....Hach, childhood memories. 








I do realize that my post is pretty random today and I am sorry for making you listening to weird German songs. I need a beer. But at least you don't have to hear me singing. Which means you have an advantage over David. 


Yesterday a pretty weird thing happened here. The ice-cream truck came to my neighborhood. (Eismann!). Not very special but the truck played Christmas songs. Is that normal? Do all the ice-cream trucks play songs like that? I remember that the German Eismann always had a very annoying bell (Ein Bällchen Engelblau, bitte.) but he did not play any songs. So America wins here. But why Christmas songs? I heard "Silent night" and "Jingle Bells" and I have to say that I am still confused. 




Have a lovely weekend!

14 comments:

  1. I constantly have earworms and they end up being the strangest things sometimes... Right now it's Heaven on a Paper Plate by Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers (probably because I saw them in concert two weeks ago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I'm not the only one! I will go and listen to that song on youtube. :)

      Delete
  2. I get french songs stuck in my head a lot, but my french is not that great so I only know half the words!!

    I love the Beatles in German :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my French is not very good either. I love the language but when I hear French songs I only understand parts of it.

      Delete
  3. I had to show my mom this as she's from Germany. She knew "Marmor Stein und Eisen bricht" and could remember the lyrics. I think your assertion is right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mom is from Germany? That's awesome! I am so glad she knows the lyrics too! I really think my assertion is right! :)

      Delete
  4. It's so great when music artist record their songs in other languages besides english. I get a kick out of the spanish versions because they're never exactly the same haha. Omg, we used to have a couple of ice cream trucks that drove around playing christmas music lol. We were so confused by it too but it turns out it they were the only songs he could get at the store a the time, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's so funny that your ice-cream trucks did the same thing! It was so confusing yesterday! :)
      I am sure the Spanish versions are awesome! I love to listen to different versions of songs!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know the Beatles recorded songs in German. I'll have to see if I can find them. The song is saying "She loves you yeah yeah yeah" in English too though ;-) Go figure most of the videos you posted don't work in Germany except the Elvis one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they have always been very very famous in Germany and I guess that's why they recorded some songs in German. I think that's pretty cool. And yeah, the lyrics are pretty much the same.
      I am sorry that the videos doesn't work in Germany. That's sad. I had that problem too when I lived in Germany. They stupid thing is that I can't see that when I post them. There are so many videos that don't work in Germany. :(

      Delete
  6. Auf meiner Facebook-Seite wurden kürzlich zwei Ohrwürmer geposted:

    "P.T. aus Arizona" von Franz-Josef Degenhardt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvtN1ow8Fg und "You Are My Destiny" von Paul Anka ...

    Den ersten Ohrwurm solltest Du Dir vielleicht nicht anhören, sonst bekommst Du nachher noch mit Deinem Liebsten Ärger (PD aus Arizona) :-) ...

    ... aaaber den zweiten UNBEDINGT - so schön ... :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ich werd mir beide anhören! Danke für die Tipps!

      Delete
  7. Hey lovely, I haven't heard of the term 'ear worms' before! Can you believe it? A friend told me that when you have a tune or a line stuck in your head what you need to do to stop is actually listen to the whole song. I haven't tried that yet...if you do give it a go, let me know if it works for you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we have the word "Ohrwurm" in German but I never thought that it means exactly the same in English. Usually there are different terms for everything in the two languages. That was very surprising!
      Thank you for the tipp, dear! I will try it and let you know if it works!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...