Wednesday, July 4, 2012

50's drive-in, Mexican food and annoying neighbors.

Hallo meine Lieben,

happy Independence Day! I was obsessed with that movie when it came out. My friend Julia and I watched it every day for a couple of weeks, sometimes even twice a day. "I picked a hell of a day to quit drinking." Grossartig. I think I have to watch that movie again. Today.

Speaking about movies: On Monday David and I went to the Springmill Drive-in in Mansfield to watch Prometheus and Ted. Both movies were really good. Prometheus is more David's kind of movie and Ted is a movie I would have picked out. So we were both happy. And we only paid 6 dollars per person for two movies. I think that's a pretty good deal. 

Springmill was originally constructed as a single screen theater in the late 1950's but added a second screen later. The theater says that "this 50's style drive-in has all the nostalgia and the best in FM stereo sound.". It sure has the charm of the 50's but I also think that's a good strategy for not doing any renovations. 

We went to a Mexican restaurant first and then headed out to the theater where the first movie started at 9:50. The second movie started around midnight and I have to admit that I got a little tired around 1 am. I am getting old.

It was a wonderful evening, except of our stupid "neighbors" at the theater: A lovely mom of 2 boys who loudly kicked them out of the car to be alone with her husband/boyfriend/lover/whatever. I think she was unable to speak in a quiet voice so we were able to understand all her lovely conversations with her kids. I am not sure if it is a good education strategy to yell at your kids all the time....but I am not an expert. Maybe I am missing something. Well, it was a little annoying that they walked around the car the whole time, moved their chairs, played with their phones and yelled at each other. But okay, I am a patient person. Or maybe not but I stayed calm. 
The whole situation reached its climax when they decided to leave 5-10 minutes before the movie was over. It is very respectful towards the other customers when you start to pack your chairs in your trunk, talk to each other, close the doors and trunk of your car, turn on the lights and drive away when other people try to watch the end of the movie...but okay. Maybe they had an emergency. Maybe they just wanted to be the first in the line of all the 15 cars to leave. I don't know. It will always remain a mystery but I do hope that I will never have to watch a movie next to that lovely family again. 



The entry area of the drive-in. It does have the charm of the 50's. I like the pink and turquoise colors. I pretty combination in my opinion. It won't destroy the 50's flair when you repaint the white wall though. 


Unfortunately I haven't seen a car like that in the theater. That would have been very 50's. But you can't have everything.  


The screen. Looks pretty small in that picture but it has a decent size. I am not so sure about the quality though. Especially the second movie was not so pleasant. Don't get me wrong, it was fine but you can't compare it to other cinemas and really sophisticated movie critics might be disappointed. 


That's where you pay a very slow woman and her son 6 dollars per person to get in. We paid 1,20 dollar first and then again 10,80 dollars because she wasn't very talented at the payment system.


El Campestre Mexican restaurant. I tried to take some embarrassing eating pictures but did not succeed this time. 


David did a much better job. I am not sure what's wrong with my left arm in that picture. 



My delicious food. A huge plate with different vegetables. I just had to cancel the onions, a main ingredient of that meal. Brr...

Do you like drive-ins? What was the last movie you have seen? Do you like Prometheus and Ted?
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

24 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I have never been to a drive-in, but I've seen it in countless American movies and it just seems so nice, and somehow romantic! :)
    P.S. The food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time too! We have some in Germany but not that many. It was great! And the food was awesome too!

      Delete
  2. I also have never been to a drive-in. Sounds fun, except for the crazy family part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lots of fun! Next time we should find a spot without annoying neighbors. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh sounds like a fun date night (minus the rude family)! I've never been to a drive-in either but think it would be lots of fun. I would really like to see Ted.... looks cute. ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted is a really cool movie! I would like to have a talking teddy bear too. :) I really liked the drive-in and I definitely want to do that again!

      Delete
  4. How fun, except for those annoying neighbors! I hate that!
    The food looks delish!
    Happy 4th, lady!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they can ruin the whole experience!
      Happy Independence Day, my dear! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like an awesome day! I really want to see Ted, and would not mind Prometheus but I can take it or leave it. Why did you cancel the onions? (Personally I hate onions but I always thought I was alone in that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted is great, I have laughed a lot! David was really excited about Prometheus!
      I always thought I was the only one in the world who hates onions (except of my Dad, he hates them too!). That's awesome! We can be onion-hater buddies. :) I can't stand onions! The smell, the taste, awful. I just can't eat them. I love ALL other vegetables but not onions. I always have to order meals without onions. So cool that you feel the same way about them. :)
      Have a great evening! Hugs!

      Delete
  6. I love the movie Independence Day! :) The year it was in the movie theaters I watched it twice in 2 weeks ;) And I can still watch it over and over again! I think Jens even has it on DVD :D
    Springmill Drive-In looks great! You're probably right that it's an easy way not to renovate it, but the 50's look just matches the whole idea of a drive-in movie theater. Oh I wish we had one close-by. It's been a few years since my last time there. I'm glad you got to enjoy it. Sometimes blackouts can be useful ;)
    The family would have driven me nuts though! I'm impressed you could stay calm. And I hope the next time you go there you'll only have quiet people around you.

    I hope you're having a great day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's awesome that you went to the movie theater twice to watch Independence day! :) I can't get enough of that movie, it's just so cool!
      Yeah, I like the 50's style so this was pretty awesome! I have never been to a drive-in in Germany, I think there isn't one in Saarland but I am not sure!

      Delete
  7. I love the drive in theater! We actually went to go see Prometheus there when it first came out. I gotta say, I was not impressed by that movie. At. All.

    Can't wait to see Ted though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted was really great! David was very excited about Prometheus and he liked it a lot. It was not my first choice but it was fine.

      Delete
  8. How lucky that you still have a drive in to go to! All the ones near me (in CA) closed. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's stupid! :( I am sorry! I really liked the 50's charm of it!

      Delete
  9. A Drive-in, how awesome! I only went once in Germany and I loved it. Crazy you paid so little for two movies!

    But Prometheus is really good in 3D... What is Ted about?

    You look very cute in the picture, I really like your blouse!

    Why didn´t you eat onions? I love onions, garlic and smelly cheese! My poor hubby :D

    Cheers,
    Miss Sugar Shack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised, I thought it would be 6 dollars for each movie!
      Ted is a comedy with Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis and they have a talking, pot smoking teddy bear as their room mate. Pretty cool. I would love to have a teddy like that too. :)

      Thank you so much! :) I got that blouse at H&M a couple of years ago.

      I just can't stand the taste of onions. And I hate to chew them, it's just awful. I love garlic though! Lots of garlic!
      Your poor hubby! :) Doesn't he like onions? David loves onions too.

      Delete
  10. 1am-gosh i feel old becuase anytime past 11 is unusual territory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)) I can stay up when I am busy doing something but I always get tired when I watch movies late at night.

      Delete
  11. I still haven't been to a drive-in ever. There's one not so far away from home, but for some reason, we haven't got round to it yet.

    That was a very disrespectful family! Geez!

    So what's your opinion about Ted? David really wants to see it. I guess we're going this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the experience but it would have been much better without the annoying neighbors!

      I liked Ted better than Prometheus but just because I am not so much into Sci-Fi. I love the idea of the movie and it was very funny. There is nudity and sex and drugs, so it is definitely not a children's movie. You guys should definitely go and see it! It made me laugh a lot! I hope you guys will like it too!

      Delete
  12. I've never been to a drive-in but I don't think I would like sitting next to such unpleasant people! We always wait until the middle of the week once a movie has been out for a couple of weeks and the crowds have died down, and then we have the theater mostly to ourselves! I guess I'm too antisocial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am antisocial too. These people next to us were so annoying. I would have loved to punch them! But drive-ins are awesome! When you are alone. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment...