Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday confessions! I am a terrible aunt & baker who can't wait to watch more Breaking Bad and falls asleep during her favorite movie.

Hallo meine Lieben,


I hope you are having a fabulous Sunday! I will go to a Minus The Bear concert later so my Sunday will definitely be great! I am really excited because MTB is one of my most favorite bands and I have never seen them live. David is ein alter Hase ("an old hand" in English? I am not sure...but "old bunny" sounds a lot better), he has seen them a couple of times.


I am linking up with wonderful Alyx from Every Day Is A New Adventure. It is confessions time!






1. I am the most terrible aunt ever. Sad but true. Yesterday we spent the day with David's family: His parents, his brother, his brother's wife and their kids, two boys.  So I thought the older brother would love to play "Hoppe Hoppe Reiter". It is a German "game" and I always loved it as a kid, my Dad had to play it with me all the time. If you don't know what it is, you can watch the video below, it is only 28 seconds long (but it's not a video of me and my nephew, I am glad nobody filmed it). So my nephew sat on my legs and I started to "sing" (maybe that was the reason)...everything was fine, he smiled and laughed. Ten seconds after we were finished with "Hoppe Hoppe Reiter" he crawled on the floor and buried his head under my legs. 30 seconds later he started to cry. Which made the baby start to cry too. 
So yeah, I can make two kids cry by playing a German game for children. I definitely deserve and award for that.


2. I  feel guilty because I made David watch "The Boondock Saints" last night and then fell asleep. I got it as a birthday present (again: thank you so much, Schatz, you presents rock!) because it is my all time favorite movie and I do have it on DVD in Germany but not here in America. It was so sweet that David had the idea to give me my favorite movie on Bluray so that I am able to watch it in America too...and then I fell asleep when we watched it the first time here. It must look like I did not appreciate it and I feel really bad about it. It was almost 11 pm when we started to watch it and we had a long day and I was really tired....I hope that's a good enough excuse and David knows how much I appreciate his gift.



3. I really am a terrible baker. I wanted to make banana-apple-oatmeal-muffins.The dough tasted delicious and they were supposed to bake for 25 minutes. So I put them in the oven, sat an alarm and then completely forgot about them. Usually I check after a while to see how they do....but not this time. So I burned all the muffins. They taste weird but I still eat them. Just because I made them and I refuse to waste food. 




4. Sometimes it is good to be a German because I translate lots of things literally. We watched the last episode of the 4th season of Breaking Bad on Friday and the title of it was "Face off". So instead of thinking that there would be a confrontation I thought that somebody will lose his or her face. (Oops, spoiler for everybody who hasn't watched it yet). And yeah, I was right. Awesome episode, awesome show. I can't wait to watch the new episode tonight! No matter how late we will be back home from the concert.



5. I did not eat any corn on the cob yesterday and I woke up this morning and thought about having corn on the cob for breakfast. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

22 comments:

  1. i barely can bake or cook. my baking ability is better than my cooking. and that's because i'm too lazy to learn both. i don't mind eating though. not at all.

    i've never heard of Breaking Bad before. is it a good show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love eating! I never use recipes when I cook and when I use them for baking it usually is a mess.

      It is an amazing show, one of my all time favorite shows! I would definitely recommend watching it!

      Delete
  2. Oh I am sorry about the Hoppe Hoppe Reiter situation! Did you find out what caused the crying? :O We also have more or less the same 'game' in Norway, and I have never heard of kids starting to cry from it!!
    Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have no idea what could have caused it. His mother said that he was just tired and that's why he started crying but I am not so sure about that. :) How is your Hoppe Hoppe Reiter in Norway called?
      Have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  3. I loved "Hoppe Hoppe Reiter" when I was a little kid! My mom used to play it with me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too and I thought my nephew must love it but I guess I will never be allowed to play with him again. :)

      Delete
  4. The burnt muffin story cracked me up (been there done that). And like you, I would eat it too. Don't waste the ingredients, that's my motto!

    - Rima

    ps: clicked you from Alyx's blog for Confession Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! :) They aren't the most delicious muffins ever but you can still eat them! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sooo excited to play Hoppe Hoppe Reiter with my kids!!! I play it with my nephew and he hates it... but I'm sure my kids will love it. lol.
    I'm also determined to teach my kids german. That's probably a little weird, but I don't care.
    HAHAHA! Corn on the cob for breakfast?!
    Thanks for linking up, Katrin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hates it? I don't understand how kids can hate it! I never got enough of it! And I am sure your kids will love it too!
      I don't think it is weird to teach your kids German! I mean, they will definitely have an advantage!

      Delete
  6. This was such a cute post, especially the auntie bit! I love babies, toddlers not too sure about, pre-teen and teen I can probably handle. I tell my husband that I probably can't be a great aunt to my nieces and nephews now, but just you wait until they hit their teenager years, I'm going to be the go to aunt for everything! I'm certain! I'm sure it'll be the same for you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Vanisha! Thanks, you are so sweet! I was really confused because of his reaction but I hope something like that will never happen again. And I am sure you are the best aunt ever!

      Delete
  7. You are not a bad Aunt! They maybe didn't like your game but at least you tried playing a game. And I suck at baking too.... I ALWAYS burn something. ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so, Stephanie. :) I was shocked because I scared him so much!
      My cakes or muffins are always a disaster. :)
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. I just recently came across Hoppe Hoppe Reiter a few days ago. I'm not sure what could have made him cry, unless he understands German...as far as the translations I've read said, there's a part in there about getting eaten by ravens if he falls in the ditch which is a pretty frightening image for a kid lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he doesn't understand any German so he wasn't scared that ravens could eat him. I really don't know what went wrong, maybe I am just a scary person. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, those muffins resemble so many of mine. I dont know what I do wrong sometimes, I mean, every direction on the box is done & somehow I still mess it up :/ Oh well. Try again, I'm sure they'll come out better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad I'm not alone. The last muffins are made tasted kind of bitter and I have no idea why. It was pretty much just banana, flour, sugar and rice milk. Maybe next time....I won't give up.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I'm sorry your nephews cried after the game, but I'm sure it wasn't you, Katrin! Young kids cry a lot, hehe.

    And always use a timer when baking! That's vital and when baking pastries or cookies always respect cooking times. 5 extra minutes can totally ruin a tray of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it wasn't me...I am not so sure about that! :)

      The recipe asked for 25 minutes and I wanted to check after 15 but completely forgot about it. :(

      Delete
  11. Too bad about the muffins...how long were they in for?

    I don`t think it went all that bad, if you had totally terrified him, he wouldnt have hidden under YOUR legs :D

    I think Corn on the Cobb ist your meth :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, maybe you are right. :)
      The muffins were only in the oven for 25 minutes. And the temperature was right. I don't know what happened but next time I'll check after 15 minutes.
      And it definitely is. I am Jesse with corn on the cobb!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...